EUGENE Ore. (AP) - E.J. Singler scored 19 points and Oregon held off a late rally by Portland State to win 79-70 on Monday.
Devoe Joseph also recorded 13 points - including the last eight -- and six assists for the Ducks (6-2), who improved to 5-0 at home this season.
Chehales Tapscott led the Vikings (5-4) with 16 points. Tapscott scored 14 in the second half after foul trouble limited the forward to six minutes in the first half.
Lateef McMullen also scored 14 points, and Charles Odum had 12 points and Michael Harthun scored 10.
The Ducks led by 14 points, 65-51, late in the game. But Portland State went on an 8-0 run, capped by a three-point play by Tapscott, to cut Oregon's advantage to 65-59 with 4:34 left.
A 3-pointer by Harthun with 1:29 left made it 71-68. But Joseph answered for the Ducks with floater high off the glass and the Vikings turned the ball over on the inbounds pass giving Oregon the ball back with 50 seconds remaining.
Joseph then went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line to finish the game off.
The Ducks ended the first half on a 12-5 run to take a 34-27 lead into the break.
Oregon returns to action on Sunday, Dec. 18, with a home game against Virginia. Tip-time for that contest is slated for 2:30 p.m. (PT) at Matthew Knight Arena.
- The Ducks recorded a season-high 18 assists on 27 made field goals (two-thirds of Oregon's baskets were assisted).
- The Ducks committed a season-low seven turnovers (previous low was eight vs. SE Missouri State). UO committed just two turnovers in the first half, a season-best effort over the first 20 minutes (previous low was three vs. SE Missouri State).
- UO's bench out-scored PSU, 33-14. Led by Joseph with 13 points, Emory 9 points, Jacob with 8 points, Nared 3 points.
- Oregon had more rebounds (34-30) than its opponent for just the third time this season. UO has a 3-0 record in those games.
- E.J. Singler and Garrett Sim extended their double-figure scoring streak to three games.
- Singler led the team in scoring (19) and rebounding (7), the second time this season he's led the squad in those statistical categories.